Saturday 10 September 2011

Milk Carton Tutorial ...

This month our DT Pam made some very cute milk cartons and here we have a little treat for you, a tutorial from Pam to make your own!

Over to you Pam...

Milk Carton Tutorial

'To make my milk carton box I used the template from “The Cutting CafĂ©” by Regina Easter. You can buy the template HERE.  I used card stock which was about 160/180gsm.  This gives the box some substance but it is not too thick that you can't fold it easily.
You can print the template directly onto your patterned paper but this means you have the lines on the inside of the box. I wanted my box to be “clean” so I printed the template and made notes of the measurements and folds and created my box this way.

the template - get yours at the cutting cafe



First of all I cut my paper to size - 25.5cm x 19.6cm and then scored along all the dotted lines using my score board and cut along the black lines to create the base.  (Please do buy the template from Regina, it only cost 99 cents which is just pennies.  This is just to show you how I marked the template up.)

scoring lines


shows the paper design side

Once you have creased all your folds the box pretty much forms itself. I stuck the box together with some very strong tape.  This is the fiddly bit but just take your time.


fold your box

The triangle bits on the template need to be folded the opposite way which gives the "pouring spout".  You can then add a flap over the top of the box and add a ribbon to keep this closed.  All I did to do this was to punch two small holes on the lip and threaded the ribbon through.  This holds all of the top together. You can then decorate as you wish.  

This is my finished box



They really are fun to make and so useful for little treats. 

If you pop along to the Cupcake Craftroom challenge post for this month you will see that I also created a Christmas box as well'. 

 Enjoy!

2 comments:

Mary J said...

How fabby!!

Anonymous said...

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point.
You obviously know what youre talking about, why waste your intelligence on just posting videos to your weblog when you could be
giving us something informative to read?
My site :: health care providers